An self driving tour of Saimaa will show you the many faces of the Saimaa region, where you will enjoy high-quality lodging and meals prepared using clean, local food. When driving from one destination to another, you will be able to enjoy the best of the incredibly beautiful lake scenery of Saimaa. A cruise will let you view the beauty of Saimaa from aboard a steamship and visit the medieval castle of Olavinlinna, which today serves as the main stage for the world-famous Savonlinna Opera Festival.
The tour includes:
1) lodging for six nights in three different Saimaa locations (two nights each): Lomamokkila (farm holiday), Anttolanhovi or Hotel & Spa Resort Järvisydän. The order of lodging locations may change, depending on advance bookings.
Lomamokkila farm holiday Lomamokkila is a charming fourth-generation family business in the midst of nature, just 12 km from the centre of Savonlinna. Lomamokkila provides comfortable rooms and a traditional home-made farm breakfast, prepared mostly from the farm’s own produce. You will get a chance to see farm animals in their real environment, go rowing or fishing on Saimaa, take a bicycle tour, play tennis, or – naturally – go swimming and take a sauna.
Anttolanhovi Anttolanhovi is located a short distance (25 km) from the centre of Mikkeli. Lodging options include high-quality hotel rooms and suites, along with Art & Design villas and suites. Anttolanhovi serves clean local food and provides a day spa for invigorating enjoyment. Recreational activities include fishing trips, Saimaa cruises, rowing, cycling, badminton, tennis and other sports.
Hotel & Spa Resort Järvisydän The medieval resort of Järvisydän is located less than an hour (55 km) away from Savonlinna, close to the national park of Linnansaari. High-standard, cosy cottages along with the hotel rooms, which were completed in summer 2015 and built and decorated with a special emphasis on high-quality, local materials, will guarantee you a great night’s sleep. Järvisydän includes a medieval restaurant serving delicious local food in medieval style. Savo’s greatest wine cave, The Sauna World and versatile options for recreation: fishing trips, paddling, rowing, seal watching in Linnansaari National Park, camping and other outdoor activities. In winter, Finland’s longest tour skating track takes you across the national park.
2) Wine tasting at Ollinmäki Winery, 25 km from Mikkeli. Ollinmäki Winery has been making Finnish berry and fruit wines since 1995. Their selection includes wines for both meals and socialising, as well as ciders, liqueurs and spirits. At Ollinmäki you will see how well Finnish berries can be combined with the mastery of continental wine-making!
3) Two lunchens at restaurants of your choice. The restaurants are:
Kenkävero in Mikkeli. A restaurant (buffet) in an old vicarage with an arts and crafts shop.
Tertti Manor in Mikkeli. Restaurant (buffet) and a boutique for quality shopping.
Restaurant Piikatyttö in Järvisydän, Rantasalmi. Medieval restaurant (buffet).
Tynkkylän Lomaniemi in Vuoriniemi, Punkaharju, 65 km from Savonlinna. Generous traditional banquet served on Sundays, June-August.
4) Guided tour of the medieval castle Olavinlinna. Built in 1475, Olavinlinna today is an important tourist destination and the stage for the world-famous Savonlinna Opera Festival.
5) Scenic cruise on board a nostalgic steamship (s/s Punkaharju or s/s Paul Wahl). Daily cruises in the Saimaa archipelago 1.6.–31.8. at 12:00, 14:00, 16:00 and 18:00 on s/s Paul Wahl, and at 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 17:00 and 19:00 on s/s Punkaharju. For an additional fee, theme cruises (such as “By Steamship to Opera”) or chartered cruises may be arranged according to customer’s wishes. Note: Cruise included in price only during HIGH season.
- Price starting
- 490.00 € per person
- High season (1.6.-31.8.2020) 680 €/person (in double room) Other time 580 €/person (in double room)